Did you know…
- Setting a new record crop value at $1.83 billion in 2015, California's table grape growers harvested their third largest crop ever, sending 110.5 million boxes of grapes to consumers worldwide.
- There are about 475 table grape farming operations in California
- California grapes are your local grapes! 99% of the commercially grown table grapes in the United States are grown in California.
- Grapes from California are available May-January.
- Grapes are considered berries, with an average of 100 berries on a bunch.
- If left alone, a grapevine will spread 50 feet or more.
- One of the most popular Chinese tongue twisters (chi putao bu tu putao pi) means “When you eat grapes, don’t spit out the skin.” Turns out that’s a good piece of advice! Grapes are a source of beneficial phytonutrients, which are found in the skin as well as the flesh and seeds of the grape. One of the most widely known phytonutrients, resveratrol, is being studied around the world for a vast array of promising potential health benefits.
- There are nearly 200 recipes on our website to help inspire your next meal, snack or dessert.
- A Spanish tradition called “the twelve grapes of luck” dates back to 1895 and consists of eating a grape with each bell strike at midnight of January 1. This leads to a year of prosperity.